Sonnet Suites - Gerber Import and Export
Fast translation from your PCB or package layout software
New translators have been added to the Sonnet Suites to import and export Gerber files generated by PCB and high frequency package layout software. This feature is only available on the Windows platforms.
Typically, Gerber file pose unique challenges to analysis software that requires only the outlines of conductor pathways, via pads and via anti-pads. Most Gerber files that are sent to fabrication houses employ thousands of small rectangles to fill conductor (non-etched) regions on a PCB. But EM analysis is most efficient when the total number of vertices in the layout is minimized so that meshing can be accomplished quickly.
Sonnet's new Gerber import includes an important step of adding all overlapping Gerber fill polygons to yield the simplest possible composite shapes with the lowest number of vertices possible--ensuring reliable and efficient meshing in the EM analysis engine.
The new Gerber import/export capability is available in two versions:
- Single-Layer Gerber Import/Export -- Recommended for single-sided boards, this is the simplest import, providing easy setup and fast translation of single-sided layouts into Sonnet geometry projects. This utility can also be used to import multiple Gerber files to a multi-layer design in Sonnet, a single layer at a time.
- Multi-Layer Gerber Import/Export, with NETEX-G -- This tool is preferred for multi-layer PCB designs, which may also include drill templates for plated through-hole via designs. By setting up a Gerber "job" file, it is possible to import all layers and construct all vias with a single pass for a particular PCB stackup and drill template design.
Additional Features of the Sonnet Gerber Import/Export:
- Support for RS274X Gerber formats
- Single and multi-layer import
- Automatic mapping of drill template to vias
- Automatic union and cleanup of complex polygons
- Integrated board design viewer with ability to select smaller regions for import